Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

Chapter 2: Plot Twist



Today marks two years since I left on a full-time mission to Georgia for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Have you ever felt like you were in a whirlwind, and then suddenly the whirlwind turned into a tornado?

That's what the past six months have felt like to me. Since starting school, my life has been overwhelming. (I'm taking 12 credits at UVU and working almost full-time--not one of the most laid back directions I've taken so far.) This particular chapter has also been filled with changes in my social life that have been very difficult for me to adjust to.

But lately, I've been thinking: this is one of those chapters of my life that I wasn't expecting but that seems to be turning out okay.

I say this skeptically because, honestly, the past two years haven't exactly been my favorite. Then again, even though this particular chapter has been frankly a little insane (not kidding, I've actually gotten so stressed I got dizzy and thought I might pass out), it's been... really fun. I've learned a lot about myself. I've also gained a new resolve to be proactive and "happen" to my life rather than letting life just happen to me.

The song "Bird with a Broken Wing" by Owl City has taken on a bit of a deeper meaning for me lately as I've thought about the past two years. I've definitely started to feel a bit like a lone survivor, just waiting for a little more light and a little less stress and craziness.

"It feels like I'm a lone survivor
Forgotten in a dark and deadly world
And on my own I walk alone
To see the sun again I'd give anything
But life demands a final chapter
A story that we all must leave behind
It's do or die, and this is mine
The anthem of a bird with a broken wing"

However, I know Christ has a plan for me. I can either cheerfully carve a path to reach the full potential and obtain the abundant blessings He has in store for me, or I can walk dismally forward, staring at the ground as I plod along in no specific direction. I think I'd rather work and smile! I've started to realize more and more that I am capable of writing my own story.

"Tell the world I know that my mind is made
It's a horror show, but I'm not afraid
Though I won't be missed, I would say it's time
For a different twist in the story line"

I may be a bird with a broken wing right now, but I know all things are possible with God.

And a good attitude. ;)




Amory

No comments:

Post a Comment